Join Our Democracy Spring Actions!
Join the CODEPINK and peace contingent at the Democracy Spring / Awakening actions to get money out of politics! The week will consist of a series of direct actions to demand Congress to end the corruption of politics by big money and ensure free and fair elections in which every American has an equal voice. The passage of the historic Iran nuclear deal was a major blow to the Israel lobby AIPAC and the military industrial complex’s chokehold on our political system. It was also an inspiring reminder of what tenacious organizing and powerful, peaceful, direct action can accomplish. Imagine: If corporations fueling the military industrial complex could no longer buy off our elected officials, we could end war. Click here to read more about why we peace people should care about money in politics!
Here’s our pink schedule for the week of actions…
- April 2 at 10am will kick off a 137 mile, 9-day march from the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia to Washington D.C. (email Rebecca@codepink.org if you are interested in doing this!).
- From April 11-16, thousands will gather to reclaim the US Capitol in a powerful, peaceful, and massive sit-in for which over 2,300 people have already pledged to risk arrest in what will be one of the largest civil disobedience actions in a generation! Co-founder Jodie Evans will risk arrest on Monday April 11.
- April 15 CODEPINK will participate in the sit-ins, and lead a tour of Congress to reveal who is benefitting from the military-industrial complex.
- April 16 the peace contingent will lead an educational teach-in hosted by Democracy Awakening, and co-founder Medea Benjamin will risk arrest!
- April 17 will include the March and Rally for Democracy at the Capitol and a vigil.
- April 18 will be the Congress of Conscience Day of Action.
- One of those nights we’ll have a CODEPINK party at our CODEPINK DC house – info TBA!
Different CODEPINK members are going to be involved in every part of Democracy Spring / Awakening, so join us for just a day or join us for it all! Email Rebecca from the CODEPINK DC office (Rebecca@codepink.org) and let her know when you will be joining us.
Chat with other awesome CODEPINK volunteers who have signed up and are raring to go on our Facebook event page.
Along with the awesome CODEPINK team, there will be lots of public figures in attendance, like Gaby Hoffmann, Lawrence Lessig, Zephyr Teachout, Cenk Uygur, and Mark Ruffalo, and we hope you’ll be there too! With the anniversary of Citizens United just having passed on January 21, getting money out of politics is imperative to ensuring free and fair elections in which every American has an equal voice.
If you are traveling to the area and looking for a place to stay during the march or sit-ins, Democracy Spring is organizing affordable housing. Otherwise, you can find an affordable place through Airbnb, youth hostels in the area, Hotel Harrington, or Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon.
Here are ways you can join!
You must log in to post a comment.