REPORT BACK: October 26, Tuesday: Occupy Beale Drone Base, Marysville, CA
Ultimately, through the closed gate, the military read the “riot act,” threatening arrest if we didn’t leave base property. Toby completed reading the statement through the megaphone, while slowly walking backwards, to join the others already across the base property line.
for October 26, 2021
Contact: Toby Blomé, 510.501.5412; email@example.com Susan Witka, 415.751.4448
CITIZENS to BLOCKADE BEALE DRONE BASE, DEMAND
$30 MILLION in REPARATIONS for RECENT U.S. DRONE
ATTACK THAT KILLED 7 YOUNG CHILDREN, 3 ADULTS
Life Sized Cardboard Figures of Ahmadi Family will Memorialize Drone Victims; Letter to Commander Heather Fox Demands Accountability and Immediate Halt to All U.S. Drone Attacks
WHEN: Tuesday, October 26, BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, during commute hours.
6:00 – 8:00 am, Corner of Wheatland Gate, South Beale Rd. and Ostrom Rd., near Wheatland.
8:00 am: PRESS CONFERENCE at Wheatland Gate.
3:00 – 5:00 pm, At a second Beale Entrance Gate to be announced midday on Tuesday. (call for details). To include PRESS CONFERENCE at 3:00 pm at designated gate TBD.
MARYSVILLE/BEALE AFB, CA – Northern California activists with Ban Killer Drones, CODEPINK, and Veterans For Peace will converge TUESDAY at Beale Air Force Base, a U.S. Drone Base in Marysville, California to oppose the U.S. Drone Assassination Program, with specific demands, including reparations to victims and an immediate ban on all militarized drones.
The action is part of a nationwide CALL TO ACTION this month by the national network, Ban Killer Drones, collaborating to seek justice for the Ahmadi family who lost 10 members in a reckless U.S. Drone Attack on August 29, 2021.
Though the military initially claimed an ISIS affiliate/potential suicide bomber was killed, independent journalism later revealed that ALL 10 victims were civilians, including 7 young children, 3 of them just toddlers.
On Tuesday morning at Beale, activists will also deliver a letter to the Beale Commander, Col. Heather Fox, urging her to assist them in seeking reparations for the Ahmadi family, and other goals expressed in the demands outlined by the Ban Killer Drones network (attached).
Copies of the letter to the commander will be available for all media at 2 separate press conferences and will additionally be distributed to personnel entering and exiting the base during the day.
Daniel Hale, a former intelligence analyst turned drone whistleblower, leaked military documents to The Intercept, published as The Drone Papers in 2015, that exposed shockingly high rates of civilian casualties in U.S. drone strikes: At times, 9 of 10 drone victims are NOT the intended target. Daniel is currently serving a 45 month sentence at a maximum security prison in Marion, IL, for acting out of conscience to expose these drone war crimes to the public. https://standwithdanielhale.org/
Hale declared in the 2015 drone documentary, National Bird: “[What drones] …really do is they just embolden commanders, they embolden decision-makers, because there is no threat, there is no immediate consequence…”
Toby Blomé, organizer for Tuesday’s Beale AFB action said, “U.S. officials and military leaders exhibit total disregard for the value of human lives in the countries targeted under the so-called War on Terror. Over and over again, innocent lives are being carelessly sacrificed in drone strikes, in order for the U.S. to continue its ‘counter-terrorism campaign.’”
“The Ahmadi family drone massacre that occurred in Kabul last month is not an example of accidental mis-judgement. It is an example of an ongoing criminal pattern of abuse whereby the U.S. assumes the right to kill a person on suspicion alone, just in case that person may be a threat, while also sacrificing everyone else who happens to be in the area.” Blomé added, “Clearly the U.S. drone program is an illegal and failing program that only creates more enemies.”
U.S. Congresswoman Ilhan Omar said it succinctly and eloquently: “We can’t drone ourselves out of terrorism.”
[BACKGROUND] Beale AFB is part of the U.S. covert targeted drone assassination program. The Global Hawk Drone at Beale is used to identify and surveil potential targets in Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Iraq, and other countries to assist in remote control assassination efforts, working collaboratively with the CIA and personnel at bases, like Creech AFB in Nevada that control the armed drones.
Formal Ban Killer Drones Demands:
1. An official apology by President Biden, as commander in chief of the U.S. military, to the Ahmadi family for the deaths of their family members.
2. $3 million (minimum) compensation payment for each of the 10 Ahmadi family members. Photos of Victims. (This is comparable to the nearly $3 million paid to the family of an Italian prisoner, Giovanni Lo Porto, that was mistakenly killed by the CIA in 2015 during a U.S. drone attack on an al Qaeda compound in Pakistan.)
3. An immediate report from the Department of Defense on who in the chain of command was responsible for the drone attack on the Ahmadis. This includes the release of all communications and logs related to the attack from the White House down to the operator who pressed the button to launch the attack, and a report on whether and what charges are to be brought against those responsible for the killings.
4. That the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission of the U.S. Congress:
1) investigate all U.S. drone attacks since 2001 pursuant to identifying all civilian and non-combatant victims; 2) oversee the disbursement of reparations to their families; 3) receive petitions and claims of victims of U.S. drone attacks and take actions as required to satisfy these petitions and claims; 4) seek the appropriation of sufficient funds to compensate families of non-combatant drone attack victims at the level of $3 million for each victim; and 5) provide compensation to communities that have suffered U.S. drone attacks.
5. An immediate halt to all U.S. drone attacks and an end to U.S. plans and taxpayer support for weaponizing drones of all types.
An additional demand included in the letter to the commander: An immediate Pardon of Daniel Hale. FREE DANIEL HALE! “Prosecute the drone criminals not the drone whistleblowers” will be the chant for the day at Beale.