SAN JOSE INNOVATIVE SOLAR PLUS BATTERY STORAGE PROJECT IS NOW OPERATING!
San José Clean Energy is happy to announce its first investment in new renewable energy, an innovative solar plus battery storage project in Kern County, is now producing power. This project was built by developer Terra-Gen at Edwards Air Force Base with union labor. It guarantees delivery of 62 megawatts (MW) of renewable energy every day between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. That means clean energy seven days a week for 16 hours each day, hence “7×16!” By providing renewable energy during the evening hours when demand is high and the California grid needs it the most, the project will help:
- Make the California grid more reliable,
- Reduce the need for natural gas peaker plants,
- Reduce air pollution, and
- Fight climate change.
- This project is producing enough renewable electricity to power nearly 65,000 San José homes annually.
- This emission-free power will have the same climate impact as taking more than 670,000 cars off the road.
- To meet the fixed delivery obligation, Terra-Gen has built an oversized solar array plus battery storage.
- Projects like this help reduce reliance on natural gas plants by providing renewables during more hours of the day. This in turn will improve air quality and support better respiratory health.
- In 2022, our standard service contains 60% renewable energy, nearly twice the state average. Reducing emissions from electricity is a key component of Climate Smart San José, the city’s climate action plan.
- San José recently pledged to be carbon neutral by 2030. SJCE will play a critical role.
San José Mayor Sam Liccardo and SJCE Director Lori Mitchell unveiled this project live on February 2, 2022. Watch the livestream. A Facebook account is not required to watch.
Want to learn more about SJCE’s other investments in renewable energy? Read our press release, visit our Energy Sources and Reliability page, and explore how to make an impact in the fight against climate change by signing up to power your home with TotalGreen, 100% renewable energy.