Sun, Apr 30 at 11:10 AM Preliminary Report: Shut Down Drone Warfare, April 15-22
5 Anti-drone Activists Arrested April 19, including 3 Veterans, while Blockading the Main Gate to Holloman Air Force Base
- Successful blockade of main gate at Holloman AFB to blockade the US drone terror program
- Superb Nonviolence Training Workshops led by VFP activist, Elliott Adams
- Professional and respectful Otero County Sheriff officers throughout the week!
- These 2 commercial ads ran locally and throughout NM during our week of action: https://youtu.be/VEnXCOY-hso https://youtu.be/4ca-j39wBjI
- Meaningful local coverage in the Alamogordo Daily News.
- Excellent panel, April 20, that included: Bernice Gutierrez, local activist and downwinder victim from the 1st U.S. Atomic Weapon test, at Trinity, NM (1945), Damascio Lopez, victim of Depleted Uranium Testing and decades long advocate for a global ban on depleted uranium weapons, and Nick Mottern, co-founder of BanKillerDrones.org
- Awesome music from Emma’s Revolution at Camp Justice AND at the panel evening. You rock Pat Humphries and Sandy O.
- Wonderful new connections made with local residents.
- Our creative vigils and messaging keeps getting more creative, effective and impactful.
- Many honks from trucks of all sizes during our vigils. Who says truck drivers are conservative?
- Camp Justice: our beautiful group campsite that provided a place for respite, recuperation, team bonding and rejuvenation that included daily morning yoga led by Sharat Lin!
- Delicious and Nutritious meals provided by our Cooking Team: Virginia Hauflaire and Jane Kroesen.
- Most importantly, we had an amazing group of activists that participated enthusiastically in our week of action…devoted, hard working and committed: Yes, and most want to come back!
VERY URGENT NEWS ADVISOR
WEDNESDAY, April 19, 2023, 11:22 a.m.
Contacts throughout week:
Ken Mayers, Veterans For Peace (Major USMCR, Ret’d), (505) 577-1975, email@example.com
Toby Blomé, CODEPINK, Women for Peace, 510-501-5412, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contacts on Day of Nonviolent Resistance,Wed, April 19:
Edwina Vogan, CODEPINK, 480-620-5323, email@example.com
Charles Powell, Veterans For Peace 505-271-9274, firstname.lastname@example.org
For a daily schedule of events, please view on the website. www.ShutDownDroneWarfare.org
5 Anti-Drone Warfare Activists – Including 3 Veterans – Arrested
Wednesday Morning at Main Gates of Holloman AFB Drone
Training Center Near Alamogordo
HOLLOMAN AFB, NM (Wednesday, April 19) – Five anti-drone warfare activists – including three military veterans – were arrested here about shortly after dawn Wednesday morning for allegedly blocking the entrance to the main gates of Holloman AFB, the largest U.S. killer drone training program in the U.S. (700 killer drone pilots/operators graduate annually).
Photos and video available here:
Toby Blomé, Ken Mayers, Elliot Adams, Michael Kerr and Richard Bishop were arrested by Otero County, NM deputies, and charged with misdemeanor obstruction of a roadway. A trial was set for May 15 in Otero County, NM.
The national coalition of groups Shut Down Drone Warfare (SDDW) has been holding peaceful pickets at the drone training center at Holloman AFB since last Saturday, and through Sunday April 22.
The WEDNESDAY action was a non-violent Day of Resistance and peaceful civil disobedience: “YOU DO NOT HAVE OUR CONSENT,” modeled on the words of Martin Luther King Jr., these acts of nonviolent direct action serve to “create and foster such a tension” as to demand a response. He wrote “nonviolent resistance was one of the most potent weapons available to oppressed people in their quest for social justice.”
At another Wednesday protest at 3:30 p.m., the theme will be GI Support/ Resistance and DOVES NOT DRONES
In addition to a focus on Air Force personnel at Holloman, members will reach out to the local community of Alamogordo with several educational public events, including, Thursday Evening Panel April 20, 7:30 pm, Patron’s Hall, Flickinger Center for the Performing Arts, 1110 New York Ave with music & singing by Emma’s Revolution. Uranium, A-Bombs & Holloman’s Drones: New Mexico’s Legacy of Militarization & Exploitation.
REMAINING ACTIONS THIS WEEK:
THURSDAY – 6:30 AM: WAR IS NOT GREEN and CREATURES FOR THE PLANET. Dress in Animal Costumes! (Militarism and Its Impact on the Environment & Climate); THURS. 3:30 PM: WAR IS A LIE, “Burma Shave” signs: Presidents Lie, Congress Lies, CIA Lies, Recruiters Lie, Question Authority….RESIST!
FRIDAY- 6:30 AM: FLY A KITE, NOT A DRONE – Colorful and creative theme with kites, etc. to model and cultivate peace. (No pm vigil on Friday planned)
SATURDAY – NOON, Earth Day Action in Alamogordo: Shut Down Drone Warfare will be collaborating with Answer Coalition, New Mexico in a rally at Alameda Park, White Sands Blvd., Alamogordo. Theme: END DRONE WARFARE
Participants hope to educate Air Force personnel about the full effects of the worldwide drone program and to urge those training to reconsider their participation, which can lead to severe psychic trauma and moral injury.
“In spite of 14 years of persistent opposition to the U.S. drone program and the terror it brings to vulnerable communities, the Pentagon and the drone industry profiteers are plowing forward, creating an ever more destabilized world of weaponized drones,” said coalition organizer, Toby Blomé.
Blomé added, “We will not be silent while young recruits continue to be trained in these heinous acts of remotely controlled violence, ultimately becoming victims themselves due to the consequences of moral injury. This is not the world we want for our grandchildren, nor for the generations that follow them.”
“With the rise of drone use in the war in Ukraine and the recent announcement by North Korea of a test with an underwater drone that can carry a nuclear warhead we are concerned that this ever expanding use of drones threatens us all,” says SDDW organizer Edwina Vogan.
Vogan added, “The downing of the US MQ-9 drone flying near Crimea by Russian fighter jets exemplifies this potential risk for serious escalation. In today’s volatile political climate, the heightened potential for misinterpretation and error when these weapons violate sovereign air space puts us at much greater risk for nuclear confrontation and annihilation.” Organizers believe peace is not achieved through preparing for war, but rather by preparing for peace.
Co-sponsored by CODEPINK, Veterans for Peace and Ban Killer Drones